Sunday, August 7, 2011

Tool # 7

 I think I will change to blue today----.  I see possibilities for tool # 7.  I have always wanted to do an interdisciplinary unit on the Civil War and it seems that this is the place to do it!  I think this might be able to be accomplished this year since we are on teams.  Many years ago (I won't say how many) several teachers at SOMS did an interdisciplinary unit on the Civil War.  The language arts classes read the book ACROSS FIVE APRILS, and the unit was designed around the book.  The choir teachers also got involved by learning a Civil War song from the North and one from the South.  The possibilities are endless here....This might be something that I could "connect with" with other social studies teachers I know in the district.  Here is a rough outline of what I have in mind:  I think for starters I would focus on just one battle, let's say the Battle of Gettysburg.


A)  OBJECTIVE:  The students will understand the significance of the Battle of Gettysburg.
B)  IMPLEMENTATION:  During the month of April when social studies classes are studying the Civil War and after language arts classes have read the book, SOLDIER'S HEART.
C)  PROCESS:  Students could write about their reflections after reading the novel.  This could be done in a google document.  The students could create a google spreadsheet showing casualties of the battle for each side. (killed, missing, wounded)  Perhaps they could find Civil War images to include on their documents.
D)  DESCRIPTION:  After reading the novel and learning about the Battle in  history class, the students should be able to understand the importance of the Battle.  I found two schools on ePALS who would be possible candidates to communicate with.  One is an 8th grade class in New Jersey that studies the same curriculum that we do.  The second school is a school that is actually located in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.  I think the students might be interested in learning how these students feel about living in such a famous town.


Is this too grand of a plan, should it be simplified, comments?

No comments:

Post a Comment